ESL CLASSES Part of the reason some women and their children are struggling financially and/or academically is a lack of English skills. Many of the women we are fortunate to serve have limited funds, resources, and English skills, and are not able to advocate for themselves or their children.
We offer ESL (English as a Second Language) Classes to improve the ability to speak, listen, read, and write in English. We offer Levels 1, 2 and 3 each semester taught by nurturing volunteers using the Ventures curriculum. Classes are offered Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 9 to 11 am.
Our Basics Class is our basic level ESL class, which is offered Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm. This class is for our students who speak Burmese.
BRIGHT FUTURES PROGRAM
PLH gives mothers the tools they need to become independent and self-sufficient. These ladies receive classes on financial literacy, goal setting, time management, and job/college readiness. Our Bright Futures program’s end-goal is to get mothers into college or career placements, as well as to help them take charge of their finances and time management. We deliver these quality programs through a partnership with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC). We walk hand-in-hand for an entire year as the Lord uses this program to empower these mothers to succeed.
Bright Futures classes are Thursdays from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm.
PARENTING PROGRAM (Happy Mom’s Group)
We partner with Methodist Children’s Home and Presbyterian Children’s Home to provide the following programs on Mondays from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm during our fall and spring semesters:
Nurturing Parenting™ programs These programs are a family-centered, trauma-informed initiative designed to build nurturing parenting skills as an alternative to abusive and neglecting parenting and child-rearing practices. The long-term goals are to prevent recidivism in families receiving social services, lower the rate of teenage pregnancies, juvenile delinquency and alcohol/drug abuse, and stop the intergenerational cycle of child abuse by teaching positive parenting behaviors.
Circle of Security International® presents trainings focusing on the early intervention models to increase attachment and security.
BIBLE STUDY (ENGLISH/SPANISH)
Bible study is facilitated by our Executive Director and our dedicated volunteer Yaneth on Tuesdays from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm. It is an English and Spanish Bible study led in a way that lets Jesus be the teacher through reading and discovering God’s word. We read the passages in English and Spanish and we ask 5 questions:
– What do you see God saying or see about God in general through this passage? (ex., “He is so patient and loving.”)
– What do you think He is saying to you in general terms? (ex., “I need to be more patient and loving.”)
– Specifically what is He talking about with you? (Ex., “I seem to always get mad and yell at my children. I’m very short-tempered, especially with my son. I feel like the Lord would like me to try and see my son as He sees him.”)
– How can you be obedient to what you feel He has said to your heart? (ex., “I am going to read the passage we read in the morning each day this week, and before bed I am going to journal about how I saw myself being more patient with my son that day.”)
– Who can you share this passage with this week? (Ex., “I’m going to share it with my sister.”)
We then do prayer requests and close with prayer. The following week we open with joys from the week (Ex., “How did we see the Lord working?”) and accountability questions (“Who did what they felt the Lord asked them to do, and how did it go?” and “Who shared the passage with someone?”).